WordPress is an awesome platform. There’s only one lack it has, it can be quite slow. If you don’t take the right precautions, you could end up with a sluggish site. That’s not only a hassle for repeat visitors. It can also cause you to lose subscribers and customers. When a person lands on your site for the first time, you only have a few seconds to attract them and to convince them to hang around. And if your site takes too long to load, most people will leave, before you even had a chance. Google now includes site speed in it’s ranking algorithm. This means that your site’s speed effects SEO, so if your site is slow, you”ll now loose visitors from impatience and reduced rankings in search engines.
Here are a few easy things for you to do to make sure that your homepage loads quickly, which probably is the most important part of your site as people will be landing there most of the time.
So, you should do the following:
- Show excerpts instead of full posts
- Reduce the number of posts on the page
- Remove unnecessary sharing widgets from the home page
- Remove inactive plugins and widgets that you don’t need
- Try to keep in minimal! As readers are here for content, not 8,000 widgets on the homepage.