WordPress, among its many amazing features, has its own keyboard shortcuts. There are many useful WordPress keyboard shortcuts that can help speed up the process.
In the WordPress visual editor you have an opportunity to use a combination of keys to do things that normally need a mouse, trackpad or other input device. Instead of reaching for your mouse to click on the toolbar, you can use the following keyboard shortcuts:
Windows and Linux use “Ctrl + letter”, Mac uses “Command (⌘) + letter”.
1 . Ctrl + key
a Select all
k Insert/edit link
2 . Alt + Shift + key
The following shortcuts use a different key combination: Windows/Linux: “Alt + Shift (⇧) + letter”. Mac: “Ctrl + Option (alt ⌥) + letter”. (Macs running any WordPress version below 4.2 use “Alt + Shift (⇧) + letter”).
n Check Spelling (This requires a plugin.)
l Align Left
j Justify Text
c Align Center
r Align Right
u • List
a Insert link
o 1. List
s Remove link
m Insert Image
w Distraction Free Writing mode
t Insert More Tag
p Insert Page Break tag
x Add/remove code tag
1 Heading 1
2 Heading 2
3 Heading 3
4 Heading 4
5 Heading 5
6 Heading 6
3 . Formatting Shortcuts
* Start an unordered list
– Starting an unordered list
- Start an ordered list
1) Start an ordered list
> transform text into blockquote
— horizontal line
`..` transform text into code block
4 . Editor width in Distraction Free Writing mode
Ctrl + Wider
Ctrl – Narrower
And Ctrl 0 Default width
5 . Keyboard Shortcuts for Comments
With WordPress Version 2.7, the ability to use keyboard shortcuts to browse and moderate comments was introduced. These keyboard shortcuts are designed to save time allowing you to rapidly navigate and perform actions on comments. If your blog gets a large number of comments, these shortcuts will especially be useful for you.
6 . Activating Keyboard Shortcuts
Keyboard shortcuts are enabled on a per-user setting, and may be turned on by visiting the Profile panel in Administration > Users > Your Profile. Check the Keyboard Shortcuts checkbox to enable keyboard shortcuts for comment moderation.
Just note that the keyboard shortcuts are designed to use both hands, simultaneously, on a QWERTY style keyboard layout.
7 . Using Keyboard Shortcuts to Navigate Comments
This is accomplished with the j and k keys. When you first visit the Comments page, no comments are selected, so, first press the letter j, or the letter k, to select the first comment. After that, just press the letter j to move the select to the next comment.
- Pressing j moves the current selection (light-blue background) down.
- Pressing k moves the current selection (light-blue background) up.
Just note that if you come to the bottom of a page of comments and press j again, you will be taken to the next page and the first comment of that next page will be selected. In the same way, pressing k at the top of a comment page will zoom you to the previous page, and selecting the comment at the bottom of that previous page. This makes it extremely easy to navigate through a long list of comments to perform the necessary actions.
8 . Using Keyboard Shortcuts to Perform Actions on Comments
- Pressing a approves the currently selected comment.
- Pressing s marks the current comment as spam.
- d moves the comment to the trash (WordPress 2.9) or deletes the current comment.
- Pressing z restores the current comment from the trash or activates the Undo when that row is selected.
- u unapproves the currently selected comment, placing it back into moderation.
- Pressing r initiates an inline reply to the current comment (you can press Esc to cancel the reply).
- q activates “Quick Edit” which allows for rapid inline editing of the current comment.
- Pressing e navigates to the edit screen for the current comment.
9 . Bulk Actions
You may perform an action on multiple comments at once. First, you’ll have to select the comments for the bulk action, using the x key to check the checkbox for the currently selected comment. Shift-x can be used to toggle the checkboxes, inverting their state. Once you have some comments checked:
- Pressing Shift-a approves the checked comments.
- Shift-s marks the checked comments as spam.
- Pressing Shift-d deletes the checked comments.
- Shift-u unapproves the checked comments.
- Pressing Shift-t moves the checked comments to the Trash.
- Shift-z restores the checked comments from the Trash.
Hope you like this article, guys!