The most important thing we should tell you is that you should backup your current site, especially if you’ve made customizations code wise before updating anything. First, updates should be performed on a test environment, not immediately on a live production site.
Upgrading the theme of your website to the latest version is very recommended, not just because it will provide you with all the latest features, but also you’ll be up-to-date with any security patches.
You can update your WordPress themes in many different ways. There may be one click updates, as well as manual updates. You can do the one click update, using WooThemes Helper. It’s really easy and convenient. But if you want to make the updates manually, you’d better use child themes, it will make the customizing and update way simpler.
You should make sure you’re using the latest version of WordPress, if not, update it before updating your theme. Also, it’ll be great if you have a backup of your site, for that I would highly recommend Backup Guard plugin. Download the latest version of your theme in your “My Account” dashboard.
The simplest way to update your theme manually is to upload it via the WP dashboard.
- Go to Appearance > Themes > Install Themes > Upload
- Click Browse and select the zip file
- Click Install Now
- Rename the theme folder on your server, or rename the folder inside the zip file
- Unzip the file on your computer
- Rename the folder (e.g. “canvas-new”). The folder name must not have spaces in it.
- Compress the new folder to a ZIP file
- Upload it via Appearance > Themes > Install Themes > Upload
- Go to Appearance > Themes and activate the new version
- Delete the Theme on your server
- Note that if you have done any customizations to your theme files, they will be lost if you use this method
If you have made any modifications to your theme files , you will need to re-apply them to the new version. We recommend to use a child theme to avoid this step. If you are an advanced user, you can see the changelog.txt in the theme folder to only update the updated files via FTP.