Image galleries are an awesome way to share groups of pictures on your WordPress site. The “Create Gallery” feature of the WordPress media uploader lets you add a simple image gallery to pages or posts on your site.
But before adding a gallery, you should be comfortable using the Add media feature and the media uploader to add images to your media library and place them into posts.
I’ll show you how to add an image gallery step-by-step, using the media uploader.
Here are the steps:
Place your cursor
A gallery may go anywhere on a page or post. It can go by itself on a blank page, or above, below, or in the midst of text. You should start with placing your cursor where you want the gallery to appear. If it’s in between blocks of text, consider adding a return and placing your cursor on a new line so there’s space above and below.
Click the Add Media button
Once you’ve placed your cursor where you need your image gallery to appear, click on the “Add Media” button to launch the media uploader interface. In the resulting popup window, select the “Create a Gallery” option from the list of actions on the left.
Add and/or Select the Images You Want to Include
You may add or select the images you want to include in your image gallery by choosing from either of the following options in the center of the media uploader window:
- Upload Files: Upload the images you want to use from your computer by dragging them into the upload area. You can add more than one image, and they will be automatically grouped together as an image gallery.
- Media Library: Select from previously uploaded images in the media library by clicking on the ones you wish to add to the gallery. You will see a checkbox next to your selections.
You may create an image gallery using any combination of new images and previously uploaded images. Simply switch back and forth between the Upload Files and Media Library tabs.
As you upload and/or select images, you will see your selection confirmed on the “Insert Media” screen by check boxes at the top corner of each thumbnail. A row of thumbnails will appear at the bottom of the window. It will help you keep track of all the images you’ve selected. If you are happy with your selection, click the “Create a new gallery” button.
Edit Your Gallery
On the “Edit Gallery” page, you may do the following things before inserting the gallery you have created into your page or post:
- Rearrange your images: Drag and Drop image thumbnails to rearrange the order of images in your gallery.
- Reverse Order: Reverses the order of the images in your gallery.
- Add image descriptions: Add descriptions to your images (optional) which appear as image captions below each thumbnail in the gallery.
- Remove images: Hover over a thumbnail and click on the “X” to remove any of the images you previously selected.
- Add more images: Click on the “Add to Gallery” link in the left hand sidebar. Add or select the images you want to include in your image gallery by choosing from either “Upload Files” or “Media Library” tabs.
- Cancel Gallery: Click on the “Cancel Gallery” link from the actions on the left to exit the Edit Gallery page and cancel your image gallery.
Before inserting your gallery, you also have several Gallery Settings available in a pane on the right to control the this:
- Links To: Controls whether the gallery thumbnails link to the image attachment page or directly to the source image file itself.
- Columns: Set the number of columns you would like to have in your gallery. 3 Columns is the default settings, which is ideal for most sites.
- Random Order: Enables your gallery to display your image thumbnails in a random order each time they are viewed on the site.
- Size: Changes each image size in gallery. Available options are Thumbnail, Media, Large and Full Size.
In the visual editor, the image gallery is displayed as a series of thumbnail images. When you click on any area of the image gallery, icon buttons appear top of the area. At any time, you can edit the images or settings of your gallery. Just click on the “Edit” button. You may remove the image gallery at any time by clicking on the “Remove” button.
This much, guys! Hope this article was helpful for you!